Are you tired of feeling like a hamster on a wheel when it comes to packing for a move? Well, grab a pen and paper and get ready to take notes because we’re about to make your life a whole lot simpler.
We’ve compiled a list of the essential packing materials you need for a successful relocation, no more, no less. So put down the duct tape and say goodbye to using your old t-shirts as packing material, it’s time to elevate your packing game.
Boxes: The backbone of your move
When it comes to packing, having the right type of box is crucial. Here are a few different types of boxes that you may need for your move:
- Small boxes: Small boxes are great for packing heavier items like books, kitchen appliances, and other items that are dense and heavy. These boxes are typically around 16x12x12 inches in size and are able to hold about 30-40 pounds of weight.
- Medium boxes: Medium boxes, usually measuring around 18x18x16 inches, are great for packing a variety of items, including kitchen items, toys, and other household items. These boxes are able to hold around 50-65 pounds of weight.
- Large boxes: Large boxes, usually measuring around 20x20x15 inches, are ideal for packing lighter items like linens, clothing, and pillows. These boxes can hold around 70-85 pounds of weight.
- Specialty boxes: Specialty moving boxes are those precious cargo containers that keep us from panicking over what might have broken or gotten lost in our time of moving. These unusual-shaped packages take away the stress of attempting to stuff oddly shaped items, like lamps or snowboards, into regular square-shaped boxes. Whether we’re packing up a flat-screen television, kitchen appliances, a collection of vases or an armchair, specialty moving boxes make packaging and transporting these items simple and secure.
It’s important to note that you should get boxes that are in good condition and sturdy, so they can hold the weight of your items and withstand the rigors of moving. When you’re selecting boxes, also consider the size and shape of your items, as well as the weight, to determine the right type of box for each item.
Tape: The glue that holds it all together
Tape is an essential part of the packing process, as it holds the boxes and their contents together, ensuring that everything stays secure during the move. There are several types of tape that can be used for packing, each with its own unique characteristics and uses.
- Packing Tape: As the name suggests, packing tape is specifically designed for sealing and securing boxes during a move. It is strong, durable and usually comes in a clear or brown color. It is made of a strong adhesive that can withstand the bumps and jostling of a move. It’s important to use good quality packing tape when sealing your boxes so that it holds the weight and does not break during the transit.
- Masking Tape: Masking tape is a type of tape that is useful when labeling and marking items. It is often used to label boxes, and it is great for writing on, as it doesn’t leave residue. However, it is not as strong as packing tape and not recommended for heavy boxes. It is great for temporary labels but not for long term packing, because the adhesive is not as strong as the packing tape.
- Clear Tape: Clear tape is a versatile type of tape that can be used for a variety of purposes. It is great for securing small items such as cords, and wrapping items such as silverware and small items like jewelry together. It can also be used to hold together the layers of bubble wrap. It’s also good for taping up loose flaps of cardboard on a box or to repair a tear.
Bubble wrap & packing peanuts: Protecting your valuables
When it comes to packaging items, bubble wrap and packing peanuts can be a great defense. But there’s an art to properly using these materials – you don’t want to be wasteful, but you also don’t want your fragile items exposed to damage.
You should get boxes that are in good condition and sturdy, so they can hold the weight of your items and withstand the rigors of moving.
The first step is filling the box with either peanuts or bubble wrap; if you’re going for a combination of both, use the peanuts as a base and the bubble wrap on top. Then you’ll want to add more padding around particularly delicate items like framed pictures or vases, ensuring that all sides are adequately covered.
To prevent any shifting inside the box, pack the spaces between items with either peanuts or paper for additional protection. Lastly, make sure that the box is closed securely with packaging tape so nothing slips out!
Additional Materials And Reinforcements
In addition to boxes, tape, bubble wrap, and packing peanuts, there are several other materials that can come in handy during the packing process.
- Ziploc bags: These are great for packing small items such as screws, nails, and other hardware, and can also be used for packing jewelry and other small items that need to be kept together.
- Furniture pads: Furniture pads are large quilted pads that can be used to protect furniture during a move. They can be placed over couches, chairs, and other furniture to protect them from scratches, dings, and other damage.
- Rope and bungee cords: These can be used to secure items in the back of a truck or on a moving dolly, and can also be used to tie down furniture and other items to keep them from moving during transport.
- Moving blankets: These are heavy-duty blankets that can be used to protect furniture and other large items during a move. They are made from durable materials that can withstand the wear and tear of a move and are great for protecting items from scratches, dings, and other damage.
- Markers & Labels: These are useful for labeling your boxes and keeping track of what is in them, this can save you time and effort when unpacking.
- Hand truck and dolly: These are great for moving heavy items like furniture and boxes, saving you energy and protecting your back.
Look daunting and stressful? Ditto! Let us take some of the stress off your shoulders and help you during your move. We can provide all the supplies you need to make sure your items are packed properly, plus we have experienced movers to help you get it all done. Contact us today for a quote!