Relocating to a new house is a labour-intensive and stressful process. There is always a fear of your furniture and belongings getting damaged, so protecting them starts right in the beginning when your packing starts. But if your furniture does get damage, here’s what to do.
Preventing damage to your furniture
Prevention is always better than cure.
So firstly, ensure you follow these simple rules to avoid the chance of your furniture getting damaged in the first place.
- Disassemble your furniture so that it takes up less space.
- Cover your furniture with a couple of layers of plastic wrap, blankets, furniture pads, or foam padding.
- Use moving equipment like trolleys, or shoulder straps to move heavy items.
- Find out about the removal company’s damage policy.
- Get a Standard Transit Insurance, carefully peruse the details so that all damages are covered.
- Once the movers arrive, first do a ‘walkthrough’ and take pictures of all your furniture so that you have a reference point of their initial condition.
Despite the above precautions, there is still a chance of your furniture getting damaged during the move.
When furniture gets damaged while moving house
If you find that your furniture has been damaged here are some things you must do immediately.
- Check your furniture for damages as soon as it is unloaded.
- Take photos of the damages (which can be easily compared to the original photos).
- Alert your removal company immediately.
- Use moving insurance to cover the damage costs.
- Submit your claim as fast as possible.
- Escalate the issue.
Furniture is an essential part of any home since it adds to the aesthetics and character. Often the furniture is inherited therefore has special sentimental value too.
Nobody wants furniture to get damaged while moving house, so it is best to leave the furniture removals to experts since most damage occurs when trying to move house on your own.
Getting all your things covered with moving insurance is a must too.
There are different types of moving insurance coverage to choose from.
This covers physical loss or damage including a deliberate act by a third party.
A limited cover for loss or damage due to theft, fire, flood, collision, etc.
Make sure you get covered for…
- Loss or damage during packing and unpacking
- Loss or damage during loading and unloading
- Loss or damage while in transit
- Loss or damage due to mishandling
- Incidental storage costs.
Claims are usually handled within 48 hours but the policy should also cover any damages you notice sometime later after the move.
You will typically have a maximum of 45 days to file a claim, and as always ensure you check out the exclusions in the policy before purchasing the insurance.
Moving Company’s Liability
The before and after photos will help you to prove that the damage happened during moving and delivery which can help when figuring out where your damaged claim needs to be lodged.
Once you decide to move start with a checklist of all that needs to be done.
If the task looks too daunting then contact a reliable, trustworthy Gold Coast removals company and let them handle all the hassles and headaches of moving house.